20 Free Spanish Books, Novels, and Stories in PDF and Printables
Are you ready to read in Spanish? We’ve compiled a list of more than 20 Spanish books in PDF form to keep you and your family busy reading! The following PDF books, novels, and stories are organized by age groups:
- Preschoolers (2-5)
- Kids (6-12)
- Teens (13-17)
- Adults (18+)
All the links have been checked and approved for quality!
Who Is Homeschool Spanish Academy?
We are an online Spanish school that wants to give parents and their children the tools they need to live happier lives, do better in school, and have real success. Learn about our free Spanish class for kids!
Hear Your Child Speak Spanish! Your Free Trial Class Is Waiting ➡️
TABLE OF CONTENTS
- The Importance of Spanish Literacy
- How To Use Stories To Practice Spanish
- Extra Hand-Picked Spanish Resources for You
- Free Spanish Books for Preschoolers, ages 2-5
- Free Spanish Books for Kids, ages 6-12
- Free Spanish Books for Teenagers, ages 13-18
- Free Spanish Books for Adults, age 18+
- Even More Free Spanish Books & Resources
- Enhance Your Spanish Comprehension by Speaking
The Importance of Spanish Literacy
Why is it important to read in Spanish? The fact is, bilinguals are not only able to communicate with more people in more ways, they actually have a higher cognitive capacity. If you or your child learn to read in both English and Spanish, you will improve your verbal and nonverbal skills in a big way! Read as many Spanish books and stories as you can to improve your reading skills in both languages.
You might like: How To Teach Sight Words in Spanish to Kids
How To Use Stories To Practice Spanish
While reading in Spanish, you likely have two main goals:
- Increase your vocabulary
- Improve your comprehension
The most effective way to achieve these goals is to study the text that you’re reading in four main stages:
- Pre-study: list up to 20 new vocabulary words at a time and search for their definitions in a free online dictionary. Write new words on flashcards or download a flashcard app.
- Read the text: depending on your fluency level, read through a paragraph or a page at a time, highlight phrases or words that catch your eye. Read it out loud, if possible.
- Self-check for comprehension: ask yourself the 5 Ws (who, what, when, where, why) and keep a language journal where you jot down all the details.
- Grade your comprehension: Since you’ll be using the Spanish books in PDF form from our list, it’s easy to copy and paste text into Google translate. If you feel stuck, this is an easy way to get answers fast.
Extra Hand-Picked Spanish Resources for You
Do you need a master list of free Spanish resources, like the best dictionaries, translators, and apps? Take a look at 45+ Free Spanish Resources Proven to Promote Fluency.
If you’d like more reading tips for beginner Spanish learners, check out No More Boring Textbooks! Top 5 Spanish Books for Beginners.
Are you reading to your child? You’ll definitely want to read up on Reading Strategies for Bilingual Kids at Home.
Take Your Free eBook With You!
Before you jump into our curated list of free books, download Homeschool Spanish Academy’s free eBook for beginners called Weird & Wacky Spanish Stories for Beginners! It’s best suited for A2 level and above, but it’s also perfect for A1 learners who wish to improve their fluency through reading. It’s fun for kids and adults!
Get Your Free Copy of Weird & Wacky Spanish Stories for BeginnersType in your name and email to get 6 weird, wacky, and super entertaining Spanish stories for you and your family! Enjoy a magazine-style eBook with pictures and English-Spanish parallel text. Start reading in Spanish today!
¡Y ahora, miremos el listado de libros en español!
Now let’s look at the list of books in Spanish!
Free Spanish Books for Preschoolers, ages 2-5
Preschoolers experience exponential growth in every facet of their development. In fact, 90% of a child’s brain development happens before age five! It’s during this time that you can foster early literacy by promoting listening competence, vocabulary expansion, and comprehension skills. This list of preschool Spanish books in PDF form showcases large, colorful pictures and simple, repetitive sentences to engage your little one.
- A mí me gusta leer – free PDF download
- Mírame a mi – free PDF download
- El Tigre – free PDF download
- Bees Like Flowers (Spanish-English bilingual) – free PDF download
- La Lagartija en la Pared – free PDF download
** ¿Puedo jugar? and other titles by Gilberto Mariscal are free on Amazon for Kindle Unlimited members.
Are you interested in English and Spanish side-by-side books for preschoolers? Learn more from our list of 12 Spanish Books for Preschoolers.
Free Spanish Books for Kids, ages 6-12
This age group is busy learning how to use books as a source of information, entertainment or escape. Elementary kids begin understanding how fiction and non-fiction texts compare to their own experience of the world: their inner life, opinions, and other books they’ve read. It’s important to enhance their exploration of a book through activities, such as:
- A Lifetime Tale: Draw the main character from a book you’re reading. What do you think they looked like as a baby, a middle aged person, and as an older person?
- Text to Self: Write a story about yourself that is related to an event or character from the book you’re reading.
- A User Manual: Choose an important object or creature from the book you’re reading and write a creative user manual or guide that explains how to care for it.
Free Spanish Books PDF Downloads for Kids:
- Volando alto – free PDF download
- ¡Todo por culpa de la gata! – free PDF download
- ¿Qué edad tiene Muttajji? – free PDF download
- El patito feo – free PDF download
- El lobo bobo y la zorra astuta – free PDF download
If you’d like to expand your Spanish library to include physical books, check out 10 Spanish Books Perfect for Grades 1-3.
Free Spanish Books for Teenagers, ages 13-18
The teenage years provide students with the opportunity to master reading comprehension using various techniques like identifying story elements and asking questions while reading. They enjoy longer texts and can handle a heavier load of new vocabulary. Some important reading strategies they can use while reading these Spanish books in PDF include:
- Using context clues to determine the meaning of a new word
- Taking notes to organize and summarize information
- Remembering new words using mnemonic devices
- Sequencing story elements with the order of events
Free Spanish Books PDF Downloads for Teens:
- Lo que no nos contaron by Marc Levy – free PDF download
- Todo saldrá bien by Emilio Ortiz – free PDF download
- Mil veces hasta siempre by John Green – free PDF download
- El Principito by Antoine de Saint-Exupéry – free PDF download
- Las Brujas by Roald Dahl – free PDF download
Free Spanish Books for Adults, age 18+
As is the case for any age, adults do best learning from content that they actually enjoy. The key to unlocking the true potential of these Spanish books is to love what you’re reading. If the topic is interesting enough, then the occasional overwhelm of new vocabulary won’t feel as heavy. Whether you’re the type to dog-ear the pages of your book or you’re more likely to cringe at such a sight, the fact is—marking all over your book with notes and highlights is extremely useful! Give it a shot by downloading one of these Spanish books in PDF for adults, printing it out, and studying it using the strategies you’ve learned from this article and the ones we’ve shared with you.
- La Gaviota by Fernán Caballero – free download
- Fortunata y Jacinta by Benito Pérez Galdós – free download
- Doña Perfecta by Benito Pérez Galdós – free download
- La Isla del Tesoro by Robert Louis Stevenson – free download
- El Poder del Ahora by Eckhart Tolle – free PDF download
- La Mujer en la Ventana by A.J. Finn – free PDF download
- Una Mañana de Mayo by Anne Holt – free PDF download
Even More Free Spanish Books & Resources
Have you already read all the titles we shared with you and you’re ready for more? Here is a list of free Spanish books in PDF resources for learners of every age!
Free Google Play Books in Spanish from weeblebooks.com
Free Spanish Kids Books from freekidsbooks.org
100+ Free Classics in Spanish from elestudiantedigital.com
Kids Books in PDF from elestudiantedigital.com
Collection of Spanish Literature from Project Gutenberg
Spanish Books for Young Adults from educalibro.info
Literature, Fiction, and More from libros.center
Kindle Unlimited Spanish Books from Amazon.com
50 Classics for Kids in Spanish from portaldeeducacion.com
Enhance Your Spanish Comprehension by Speaking
Would you like to practice your Spanish accent, speaking skills, or check your comprehension of something you’ve read recently? Sign up for a free class with a native Spanish-speaking teacher at Homeschool Spanish Academy. Take the time to make your learning journey a priority and to get one-on-one attention from a certified Spanish teacher who loves to talk about books!
Join one of the 40,000 classes that we teach each month and you can experience results like these…
“This is the best way for your kid to learn Spanish. It’s one-on-one, taught by native Spanish speakers, and uses a curriculum.”
– Sharon K, Parent of 3
“It’s a great way to learn Spanish, from native Spanish speakers in a 1-on-1 environment. It’s been fairly easy to schedule classes around my daughter’s other classes. The best value for us has been ordering multiple classes at a time. All the instructors have been great!”
– Cindy D, Parent of 3
“HSA offers very affordable, quality, one on one classes with a native speaker. My son has greatly benefited from taking classes. We have seen his confidence increase as well as his pronunciation improve, because he learns from a native Spanish speaker. HSA has quick, personal customer service. Our family has been very pleased with our experience so far!”
– Erica P. Parent of 1
Want more high-quality Spanish resources? Check these out!
- Spanish Words with Multiple Meanings in Latin America
- How Many Words Are in the Spanish Language? Really?
- World Mental Health Day: A Vocabulary Guide for Mental Health Workers
- 7 Powerful Reasons Why Bilingualism in Children MattersPowerful Reasons Why Bilingualism in Children Matters
- Expressing Appreciation in Spanish on World Teachers’ Day
- Art and Painting Vocabulary in Spanish
- Fall En Español: Exploring Autumn Activities for Kids
- Avoiding Common Errors in Spanish Grammar
- Top-Rated Accredited Online Spanish Classes for Kids - February 22, 2023
- 6 Compelling Reasons Why Your School Should Outsource Spanish Class - February 3, 2023
- 20 Free Spanish Books, Novels, and Stories in PDF and Printables - January 25, 2023