Spanish Vocabulary: How to Talk About Golf in Spanish
Learning how to talk about golf in Spanish moves you one step closer to your goal of learning Spanish. Think of it as one more area that you’ve got covered.
If you love golf, it’s a win-win situation where you learn about something that you enjoy doing or just watching.
If you’re interested in the world of golf in Spanish, keep reading to learn about why you should learn golf vocabulary in Spanish. You’ll discover some of the best Hispanic players in history and learn about some of the most interesting Hispanic golfing facts, plus get a comprehensive list of golf terms in Spanish.
How to Talk about Golf in Spanish
If you’re a golf enthusiast, and you like playing the game or enjoy watching the PGA Tour tournaments, then you want to know everything about golf. If you happen to also be learning Spanish, why not blend your two passions together and learn how to talk about golf in Spanish?
When you’re learning a new language, you want to learn about as many different areas of life as possible. Sports is one of them—that’s why here at HSA, we’ve written a series of articles about sports in Spanish. Other sports we’ve covered include football (both soccer and American football), and basketball. Now, it’s the time for golf in Spanish.
Why Learn Golf Vocabulary in Spanish?
There are a few reasons I can think of, starting with the most probable one of spending a few days vacationing in a Latin American beach town and playing a round or two of golf there. You’ll have an easier time if you know the specific terms used for golf in Spanish.
Even if you’re not that lucky, you will still engage better in golf conversations with native Spanish speakers, if you know a bit of vocabulary about golf in Spanish. Finally, your understanding of the culture behind the Spanish language will improve just by learning how Spanish speaking people refer to terms originated in a game invented in the English language.
Golf in Spanish
Let’s take a deep dive into the world of golf in Spanish. In this post, I’m focusing on specific golf terms, as well as getting to know more about Spanish-speaking golf players and featuring interesting facts about golf in Spanish.
The All-Time Best Hispanic Golf Players
According to the Professional Golf Association, more Hispanic players are leaving their mark on the Tour than ever before. Just last year, four players of Hispanic origin qualified for the Tour Championship:
- Jon Rahm from the Basque Country in Spain
- Colombia’s Sebastian Muñoz
- Mexican player Abraham Ancer
- Joaquin Niemann from Chile
Also last year, Rahm became just the second Spaniard to reach #1 in the world ranking of golf players.
So, who are the best Hispanic golf players ever? According to the World Golf Hall of Fame, they are:
- Severiano Ballesteros (Spain)
- Lee Trevino (USA of Mexican descent)
- Jose Maria Olazabal (Spain)
- Roberto De Vicenzo (Argentina)
- Chi Chi Rodriguez (Puerto Rico)
- Nancy Lopez (USA of Mexican descent)
- Lorena Ochoa (Mexico)
Hispanic Golfing Facts
Now for a few interesting facts of golf in Spanish:
- Since 2000, 423 Hispanic players have finished a PGA tournament in the Top 10.
- Spanish players have won a total of 30 PGA tournaments (Sergio Garcia tops the list with 10).
- Latin American players have won 38 PGA tournaments (Chi Chi Rodriguez tops the list with 10).
- Lorena Ochoa was named the AP Female Athlete of the Year title in 2006.
- Severiano Ballesteros won The Open 3 times and the Masters twice.
- In 1971, Lee Trevino was the first player ever to win the U.S. British and Canadian opens in a single year.
- Sergio Garcia holds the record for more points scored at the Ryder Cup with 25.5.
Spanish Golf Terms
Due to its Anglo-saxon origins, most golf terms were invented in English first. In many cases, the English version of some words is the favoured term in Spanish too. For example a “birdie” will always be a “birdie” among players and fans, even if the translation pajarito exists in Spanish.
For this reason, some terms don’t even have a proper translation in Spanish. When that’s the case, I’m specifying so you don’t feel the need to look for a Spanish term where there isn’t one.
To include as many terms as possible, I’m not including a definition of each one. To learn more, take a look at this excellent English-Spanish Golf Dictionary.
|pajarito (use birdie)||birdie|
|águila (use eagle)||eagle|
|albatros||albatross or double eagle|
|trampa de arena||sand trap|
|hoyo en uno||hole in one|
|efecto hacia atrás |
|marcador de bola||ball marker|
|posición de la bola||ball position|
|chip bajo||bump and run|
|golpe corto||chip shot|
|cara del palo||clubface|
|cabeza del palo||clubhead|
|viento lateral||cross wind|
|código de vestimenta||dress code|
|hierro uno||driving iron|
|maderas 3 ó 5||fairway wood|
|swing completo||full swing|
|palo de golf||Golf club|
(use green fee)
|local rules||reglas locales|
|juego largo||long game|
|juego corto||short game|
|bola perdida||lost ball|
|pasar el corte||make the cut|
|no pasar el corte||miss the cut|
|árbitro (use marshall)||marshall|
|orden de juego||order of play|
|golpe de recuperación||recovery shot|
|bola de práctica||range ball|
Play Golf and Practice Your Spanish
Now all you have to do is to practice your newly acquired vocabulary about golf in Spanish, by going out and playing some golf in a beautiful Latin American course, or in your local community with a Spanish-speaking friend. I wish all homework were as enjoyable as this one, don’t you?
Sign up for a free class with one of our certified, native Spanish speaking teachers from Guatemala and start talking about golf in Spanish today!
Ready to learn more Spanish vocabulary? Check these out!
- Talk About Bacon in Spanish (and Other Meaty Favorites)
- The Ultimate Vocabulary Guide: At the Bank in Spanish
- 25 Different Free Time Hobbies to Discuss in Spanish
- Know the Field! Soccer Positions in Spanish
- How to Write Your Address in Spanish
- The Ultimate List of Movie Genres in Spanish
- How to Discuss Your Family Tree in Spanish
- 100+ Words and Phrases Related to Transportation in Spanish
- Know the Field! Soccer Positions in Spanish - April 10, 2021
- 20 Delicious and Popular Puerto Rican Foods - April 9, 2021
- The Ultimate Vocabulary Guide to Restaurants in Spanish - April 8, 2021