Spanish Word of the Day for Kids Activity Pack
If you’re ready to expand your children’s Spanish vocabulary, then look no further than Spanish word of the day for kids activities!
Spanish students of all ages need plenty of words to enrich their vocabulary and enhance their conversational abilities and fluency. Words are the foundation of languages and knowing the right words allows kids to communicate better while understanding useful concepts and terms.
If you don’t know where to start, I’ve got great news for you! I’ve prepared a word of the day for kids activity pack that is guaranteed to increase vocabulary and elevate communication skills to the next level.
A Word of the Day Keeps Your Spanish Awake
Let’s be honest, eventually the use of flashcards and vocabulary lists gets old.
Using Spanish word of the day for kids activities is a special way of learning that requires little effort and can be squeezed into your daily routine without taking much time. Exposing kids constantly to new words allows them to identify them, use them in sentences, and actively engage with Spanish.
These vocabulary building activities provide new words in smaller, less intimidating doses.Using Spanish word of the day for kids on a daily basis can be done in multiple ways that you won’t even need to think much when doing it.
Spanish Word of the Day for Kids Activities
How can you be sure kids can retain this information? Well the sooner you get them started, the more information they’ll be able to absorb! Also, it’s essential you keep them motivated by using endearing and entertaining resources such as fun activities and games.
Let’s take a look at a few of these great resources!
Spanish Word of the Day Calendars
Ideal for: Preschool and elementary students.
Use a colorful and appealing year-long calendar to practice and learn vocabulary related to seasons, birthdays, holidays, and more!
Place the calendar somewhere visible that allows kids to interact and get familiarized with it by colouring it or adding stickers. The goal of this activity is to go day-by-day using the word of the day for kids following simple steps:
- Say the word of the day loud and clear with the proper pronunciation.
- Define the meaning of the word and translate it to English for better comprehension.
- Use the word in at least two or three sentences.
- If available, have the kids identify the word in an object or using items around the house or classroom.
- Set a goal and have the kids say the word at least 4 to 5 times in the day for memory retention.
You can print out empty calendar templates for you to fill out or add the words to an existing calendar you have laying around. You can make each month themed with vocabulary related to holidays or simply freestyle it with these topics available on our blog:
- January: Prep your vocabulary with our blog post on extensive house and furniture vocabulary.
- February: Celebrate Valentine’s day with a list of vocabulary available on our blog post the ultimate Valentine’s day guide in Spanish. You can include Mardi Gras related vocab available on our blog post Carnival in Latin America.
- March: Get ready to welcome flowers and nice weather with Spring-related vocabulary available on our blog post about Spanish spring words.
- April: Bring out the easter eggs and chocolates as you prepare April’s vocabulary using our blog posts All About Holy week and how families celebrate easter in Latin America.
- May: Teach your kids all words related to Mother’s day and family, you’ll find plenty of words on our blog posts about día de la Madre and family related vocabulary in Spanish.
- June: Welcome summer with our go-to vocab list available on our blog post about Spanish summer words for kids.
- July: Enjoy your summer break using vocab from our blog posts on talking about your trip to the beach and vacations in Spanish.
- August: Make this month all about food as you pick up words of the day from our blog posts: Spanish food and cooking words for prescholers and all about food in Spanish.
- September: This month is all about returning to class, make it amusing by enforcing back to school supplies vocab.
- October: Whip out the candy, costumes, and tricks! Celebrate halloween by choosing a word of the day from our blog post about Halloween in Spanish for kids.
- November: Teach your kids all about Día de muertos vocabulary and mix it up with Thanksgiving Spanish words.
- December: Wrap up a year of Spanish word of the day for kids, by teaching them all about words for the holidays and all about Santa Claus in Spanish.
100 Días de Español Posters
Ideal for: Elementary students.
Use construction paper or printable template, divide each piece into ten and have the kids write ten words in Spanish for the ten following categories:
- Cosas en la clase (Things in class)
- Verbos (Verbs)
- Familia (Family)
- Comida (Food)
- Objetos (Objects)
- Animales (Animals)
- Partes del cuerpo (Body Parts)
- Casa (Home)
- Colores (Colors)
- Palabras favoritas (Favorite words)
If you have a large classroom, you can always divide them into groups and assign a category for each group. By the end, you should have a total of a one-hundred words, one word in Spanish for the next one-hundred days.
Choose a new word from the poster every day and have each of your students use it in a sentence, this is bound to enhance their memory and ability to use each word of the day for kids.
Download FREE Spanish Word of the Day for Kids ActivitiesType your name and email below to get two Spanish Word of the Day for Kids Activities!
Palabra del día (Word of the Day)
Ideal for: High School students.
This free app is guaranteed to build vocabulary for teenagers who have access to a smartphone or tablet. Palabra del día is equipped with thousands of words in Spanish your kids can store and search for.
The best part of this app it’s you can turn on notifications and it reminds you on a daily basis to look at the word of the day for kids, without taking much time. The app also has pronunciation resources and a tool for challenging friends and others, allowing the student to test their knowledge and retention capacity. The app is available both for android and IOS.
Spanish Academy TV
Ideal for: Students of all levels.
Nothing more engaging than enjoyable and delightful videos for education! We love to take care of you at Homeschool Spanish Academy, so every wednesday you’ll find a new Spanish language related video on our Youtube channel Spanish Academy TV.
Sign up to your Youtube account, subscribe to our channel, and turn on notifications. You can choose a weekly video and define a word of the day for kids in relation to the topic. Have your kids say each word in the morning before breakfast and use it in a sentence. It’s that simple and won’t require much time!
Ideal for: Middle School students.
Place an empty piece of cardboard on the wall and add a new vocabulary word in Spanish every day. The word wall is a good reference point for kids and is great for everyday transition times between lessons, examn, and assignments.
Write the word of the day, define its meaning, and use it in a sentence. Have the kids practice by playing different games using the word such as charades, rhymes or hangman. Scratch each word of the day as you move along and as the kids master it completely.
Spanish Classes with Native Certified Teachers
Ideal for: Students of all levels.
Nothing beats pickin up new vocabulary with those who use it on a daily basis! At Homeschool Spanish Academy we have different level Spanish programs with certified, native, Spanish-speaking teachers from Guatemala. The classes can be tailored to your needs, schedule, and have accessible, affordable, and comfortable prices. Spanish word of the day for kids is reinforced by the teachers constantly, allowing the students to improve their fluency, pronunciation, and conversational skills.
Sign Up For a Free Trial Class!
I hope this list of different resources for vocabulary building makes you start using word of the day for kids activities in your home or classroom. Here at Homeschool Spanish Academy, we’re ready to take on the challenge of improving your kids Spanish skills and taking them to the next level with all sorts of new words and concepts.
We have over ten years of experience and teach more than 24,000 actively enrolled students every month. I guarantee you’ll be in great hands and it’ll be worth your while. If you’re not ready to take the plunge yet, I suggest you sign up for a free trial class, you’ll be blown away with the immediate results.
Want more free Spanish lessons, fun content, and easy learning strategies for kids? Check these out!
- 9 Amazing Science Books in Spanish for Kids
- 13 Mexican Nursery Rhymes to Teach Your Kids
- 25+ Resources to Promote Spanish Listening Practice for Kids
- 15 Preschool Spanish Spring Activities To Do This Year in 2022
- 35 Spanish Bulletin Board Ideas for Your Classroom
- Parts of a Cell in Spanish (Free Spanish Lessons for Kids)
- Spanish Spring Words for Kids (Free Lesson)
- Zoo Animals in Spanish (Free Spanish Lessons for Kids)
- 31 Spanish Phrasal Verbs That Will Take Your Fluency to the Next Level - September 5, 2022
- 10 Uplifting Shakira Songs That Will Teach You Spanish - June 18, 2022
- 15 Preschool Spanish Spring Activities To Do This Year in 2022 - May 30, 2022