Spanish for Beginners: Start Here! 100+ Free Spanish Lessons
Welcome to Homeschool Spanish Academy’s ultimate guide to learning Spanish for beginners!
To learn Spanish from square one in the most effective way possible, you’ll want to dedicate significant study time to each of the four elements of language learning: speaking, listening, reading, and writing. The ideal methods are enjoyable, motivating, and engaging; they’ll make you want to continue actively learning and improving your language skills.
The concrete information we’ll explore below will give you the tools you’ll need to start learning Spanish for beginners today. This list is an absolute gold mine!
The following resources exist in these key categories:
- General strategies and tips
- Listening practice
- Conversation basics
- Reading material
General Strategies and Tips
Begin here to discover overarching strategies and tactics you can use now to kickstart your Spanish learning process.
- Your Ultimate Guide to Basic Spanish for Beginners
- The Ultimate Resource List: Spanish for Beginners (PDFs, books, movies, etc.)
- How to Keep a Language Journal and Why It Helps You
- Spanish for Dummies: A Quick Guide of Essential Spanish
- Learn Spanish for Free! 45+ Free Resources
- Take a Class! Top 10 Free Spanish Language Courses Online
- Working Spanish – Formal vs. Informal – Which One Should You Use
- Differences between Latin American and Castilian Spanish
- Learning How to Speak Spanish? 5 Tricks to Fast Track Your Fluency
- Top 6 Free Apps to Learn Spanish for Beginners
While Spanish pronunciation is phonetic (unlike English!), it does have a number of nuances you’ll want to learn early on. Explore these links for practical tips and instruction.
- Pronunciation in Spanish and How to Master B/V
- Pronunciation of vowels and letters C and G
- Spanish Tongue Twisters: Perfecting Your Pronunciation
- Roll With It: Spanish Spelling Words with RR and R
Listening to Spanish is the best way to learn to understand the language. By listening to a wide range of resources, you develop your ability to understand more complex speech—while supporting the other three skill areas (reading, writing, and speaking)!
- 5 Spanish Podcasts for Beginners
- Spanish People Talking: 10 of the Best Listening Resources
- 25 Spectacular Channels to Watch YouTube Spanish Lessons
- Powerful Ways to Improve Your Spanish Language Skills
- La Actualidad: 5 Spanish News Podcasts You Don’t Want to Miss
The importance of speaking the new language you are learning cannot be overstated. Check out the links below to learn practical ways to hone your conversational skills.
- ¿Cómo estás? – Everyday Spanish Greetings You Can Use
- Making Friends: How to Introduce Someone in Spanish
- Spanish Classroom Survival Phrases for Beginners
- 25 Essential Spanish Phrases for Beginners
- The 15 Most Common Spanish Verbs for Beginner Conversation
- Spanish Sports Vocabulary and Conversation: A Beginner’s Guide
- Help, I’m Lost! Asking for and Giving Directions in Spanish
- 25 Most Used Spanish Phrases to Survive Any Conversation
- 100+ Spanish Conversation Starters for Casual and Formal Use
- Gracias! 20+ Ways to Say Thank You in Spanish and Express Gratitude
- 15 Easy Spanish Idioms That Every Beginner Should Understand
- ‘Where Are You From?’ in Spanish and Other Essential Questions
- Say What? The Definitive, Must-Have Guide to Spanish Questions
Reading is fundamental to fluency. It’s also entertaining, and, at best, it can even be illuminating! As a beginner, you’ll benefit from access to texts you can easily read such as picture books, articles, and blog posts. Check out the links below to get started!
- 20+ Free Online Spanish Books for Self-Motivated Beginners
- Spanish Stories & Practice: Spanish Reading Comprehension Series: A1
- Spanish Stories & Practice: Spanish Reading Comprehension Series: A2
- 10 Websites Offering Short Stories in Spanish for Beginners
- Preterite and Imperfect: Reading and Practice in Story Form
- 20 Free Spanish Books, Novels, and Stories in PDF
- 10 Spanish Articles for Beginners: Learn to Read the News
- No More Boring Textbooks! Top 5 Spanish Books for Beginners
- Spanish Stories & Practice: Spanish Reading Comprehension
- International Children’s Digital Library
Grammar is a unique challenge of learning a language that’s both necessary and useful. Explore the links below for a simple, straightforward, and friendly introduction to basic Spanish grammar topics.
- Spanish Grammar for Beginners: The 8 Parts of Speech
- In, On, and By: A Beginner’s Guide to Spanish Prepositions
- The Ultimate Beginner’s Guide to Spanish Subject Pronouns
- How to Use Possessive Pronouns in Spanish
- 50 Common Spanish Adverbs to Start Using Today
- Spanish Grammar: Comparatives and Superlatives in Spanish
- Indirect Object Pronouns in Spanish: 10 Great Online Exercises
Learn all about sustantivos (nouns) in Spanish: people, places, things, and ideas!
- Nouns in Spanish: Everything A Beginner Wants to Know
- Easy Cognates for the Beginning Spanish Learner
- A Giant List of 119 Nations and Nationalities in Spanish
- All About Food in Spanish Using Countable and Uncountable Nouns
- The Ridiculously Long List of Vegetables and Fruits in Spanish
- A Vibrant Guide to Colors in Spanish with Phrases and Practice
- How to Talk About Your Home in Spanish
- Cleaning Spree! Vocabulary for You to Keep It Clean in Spanish
- Numbers in Spanish: Addition, Subtraction, and Fractions
- Learn the Spanish Numbers, Shapes, and Colors
- Ordinal Numbers in Spanish
- How to Use Numbers in Spanish
Dates, Times, and Weather
- The Ultimate Guide to El Tiempo: How to Tell Time in Spanish
- Spanish Days of the Week
- ¿En qué mes estamos? Dates, Seasons, and Months in Spanish
- Days of the Week in Spanish: Habits, Routines, and Meet-Ups
- Spanish Weather Forecast: Scripts and Lessons
- ¿Qué Tal Está el Clima? Spanish Weather Words for Adult Conversation
Learn the basics of Spanish verb conjugation, including how to form verbs in the most frequently used past, present, and future tenses.
Conjugation and Tenses
- An Exclusive Beginner’s Guide to Spanish Conjugation
- Present Tense Conjugations in Spanish: Common Mistakes to Avoid
- The Near Future Tense in Spanish ¡Vas a Aprenderlo!
- How to Form Nosotros Commands in Spanish: Let’s Get to It!
- Spanish Preterite vs Imperfect: 25 Online Exercises
- Past Tense Verbs in Spanish: Imperfect, el pretérito imperfecto
- Preterite vs Imperfect: A Beginner’s Guide to the Past Tense in Spanish
- Master the Past Perfect Spanish Tense (El Pluscuamperfecto)
Specific Spanish Verbs
- Ir Conjugation: A Spanish Verb Lesson for Inspired Beginners
- 100+ Sentences with the Spanish Verb Ser, Learn to Use Ser
- Ser vs Estar vs Tener: All the Ways to Say “I am” in Spanish
- The 15 Most Common Spanish Verbs for Beginner Conversation
- Saber vs Conocer: Get to Know These Spanish Verbs
- The Only Guide You Need to Use the Spanish Verb ‘Acabar’
- Sentirse vs Sentarse: How to Use me siento, lo siento, and lo
- 10 Interesting Spanish Verbs Related to Food and Drink
- Haber vs Tener: Simple Steps to Understand the Differences
Adjectives in Spanish have the same function as they do in English: they are words that describe someone or something. Add some colorful adjectives to your growing Spanish vocabulary by studying the posts below.
- Spanish Personality Traits: 100+ Ways to Describe Someone
- The Easy Way to Understand Possessive Adjectives in Spanish
- 50 Feelings and Emotions in Spanish
- How to Talk About Your Mood in Spanish
- Ser vs Estar: Using Adjectives with These Spanish Verbs
Keep Up the Good Work!
We hope you’ve enjoyed our giant guide to learning Spanish for beginners! Consider bookmarking it for easy access and regular review.
While all of these incredible resources will jumpstart your language learning journey, nothing can replace taking Spanish classes with a native speaker. Our experienced, certified teachers at Homeschool Spanish Academy love working with novice learners. They make Spanish for beginners easy, and you can start with 25 or 50-minute classes, depending on the intensity you’re looking for in the course. Try a free class today and see for yourself how quickly you’ll be speaking Spanish!
Want more free Spanish content for beginners? Check out these latest posts!
- The Ultimate Vocabulary Guide to Day of the Dead in Spanish
- 13 Halloween Language Activities for Learning Spooky Spanish Words
- Hear Me Now! 15 Productive Ways To Say ‘Listen’ in Spanish
- The Ultimate List of Common Spanish Abbreviations
- 20 Spanish Compliments That People Love To Hear
- Vocabulary Guide to Architecture in Spanish
- 31 Spanish Phrasal Verbs That Will Take Your Fluency to the Next Level
- The Ultimate Guide to Autumn Vocabulary in Spanish
- 14 Bilingual Books for Kids About Fall and Winter Holidays (Spanish-English) - October 12, 2021
- A Traveler’s Guide to Honduras: Culture, History, and Amazing Places to Visit - October 7, 2021
- Venir Conjugation: Free Spanish Lesson and Quiz - September 22, 2021